FIND THE SOURCE OF YOUR MOISTURE PROBLEM TODAY!!! to read the entire U of M article click on this link:
- Reduce sources of water evaporation (bathing, cooking, humidifiers, etc.).
- Install or inspect (and repair) exhaust fans in your bathrooms.
- Install an exhaust fan in the kitchen to remove moisture caused by cooking.
- Bring dry outdoor air into the home to replace stale, moist air that is being exhausted.
- Check that exhaust ventilation systems are working properly.
- Consider adding a whole house ventilation system.
- In winter, temporarily open windows just a little to allow warm moist air to leave the home and also allow cold, dry air to come in.
- In summer, use a properly sized air-conditioner or stand-alone dehumidification system to reduce the indoor humidity.
- Seal openings that might allow warm, moist air to enter walls, ceilings and the attic where it may become a cause of structural damage to the home.